Friday 8 August 2014

Buying Our First Home - Choosing Our Home

Has anyone always known where they would end up living? As in no matter where you travelled and lived you knew that eventually you would end up settling in a certain place? - I have!

Ever since I made the decision to move 4 hours from home for University, I knew that one day I would be back in 'The Shire' (the shire in question here is Derbyshire!). Since my time at University I have been fortunate to have rented a couple of beautiful properties in Harrogate and York respectively. The problem with this is that I have lived in beautiful places knowing that when I buy a home I will never be able to afford somewhere as nice as where I have rented...or so I thought!

Like I say, I knew that I wanted to move back to Derbyshire one day and that this would be where James and I would buy our first property. We have only recently been able to afford to consider buying a home together and a few months ago made the decision to begin our home buying and relocation journey.

First things first: Where?
As I grew up in Derbyshire it has always felt like 'my' place. With this in mind I wanted us to move to somewhere that was new for both of us. Recently some friends of ours had moved to a town called Belper and loved it, we had also heard from other people who had moved there are really enjoyed it. After a few trips, where deli's were visited and streets explored, we were sold. Great travel links, reasonable priced property, greenery and even a cinema for the city boy! I would really advise getting advise from people about where to live if you are moving somewhere new we have found it so helpful, especially when the advise is where NOT to live!

Then: Finding the House
We then very quickly stumbled upon a property that we fell in love with, it was bigger than we had hoped for, needed no work doing on it and had a proper homey feel to it. After a couple of visits we put our offer in, unfortunately, we weren't the only ones! So many people had put offers in for the full asking price that in the end the vendor went with the first offer that came in...which wasn't us.

After quite a few tears and a lot more searches on estate agent websites and Rightmove we found a few properties that we wanted to view. Another trip down to Derbyshire it was, we put aside 4 days for house viewings and had booked second viewings as well so that we could be thorough. 
That weekend we found a couple properties we really liked, although both we felt were over priced and needed work doing. 

So we had some big decisions to make as to what to do next...which will be in my next blog post!

Are any of you going through buying a house at the moment? Feel free to share any tips or just have a moan about the stress!

Bella x

No comments:

Post a Comment