Friday 1 August 2014

Review: The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt

Mooching around Nottingham I spotted a huge sign in Waterstones for a half priced book, naturally I sauntered over. In the window was one copy of The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, the cover of the book completely caught my eye, so in I went!

I had previously heard about this book and reviews seemed pretty positive so I decided to give it a go. This was a bit of a change to the books I have recently been reading which is mainly chick-lit and light reading for the train journey to and from work. However, I was willing to give it a go.

Instantly this book grabbed my attention, it opens in Amsterdam with Theo, the novel's narrator, confused, panicked and frantically searching for his name in newspapers that he doesn't understand...what has he done?! The book then jumps back to his life as a child where his mothers tragic death leaves him alone in New York with nothing but an old man's Signet ring and a famous painting of a Goldfinch by Fabritius. The story follows Theo's life as he is shipped from caretaker to caretaker and decides which path his life will take, eventually leading him to Amsterdam.

I absolutely loved reading this book and felt gripped throughout. I felt that the story which unfolded was driven by Theo's love for people, his mother and his best friend and although a lot of the novel felt dark and at times upsetting, it was always love driving Theo on.

If you are in the market for a new book I would definitely recommend this one, the writing is superb and it was a joy to read.

Have you read The Goldfinch? What did you think?

Bella x

No comments:

Post a Comment